Tuesday 3 June 2014

03/06/2014 - And shyness can stop you.

Shyness -

The western world in becoming a increasingly interconnected place through the medium of technology, and because of this people have taken to the internet in their thousands to write about their experiences of depression and social anxiety. I myself do not feel like a socially anxious person but I have felt all my life that I am shy.    

This may be because people in my environment have always told me I am shy or I may have been shy people labeled me as 'shy' which I feel has developed into a self fulfilling prophecy. But either I identity as a shy and withdrawn person.

Shyness as defined by the America Psychological Association-  " is the tendency to feel awkward, worried or tense during social encounters, especially with unfamiliar people. Severely shy people may have physical symptoms like blushing, sweating, a pounding heart or upset stomach; negative feelings about themselves; worries about how others view them; and a tendency to withdraw from social interactions. "

I when I am faced with new social situations I get an overwhelming feeling of not knowing what to say and how to react and I feel that I would like someone to come and tell me what to do in new social situations Although shyness may not be as sever as social anxiety or depression I feel that shyness should not be ignored and should be considered more of an issue. As perhaps being labeled and being told that you are shy at a young age does have an effect on your future personality. Maybe as an adult now I am aware of myself and how I handle social situations I should be able to change my feelings and deal with shyness better. 
This is a part of myself that I am going to have to accept and try to change as I get older and I am faced with an increasing number of new situations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment